Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Killarney to Black Valley

    August 11, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    This the first leg of the Kerry Way. We started from the B&B early in the morning after having a nice irish breakfast. The weather forecast was pretty bad for today, so we were prepared for the journey ahead. At least, the was no rain at the start.

    The way went past the road for 3 km before it lead us to the Lough leane, the big lake close to Killarney. We came across Muckross Abbey and its Castle just until Torc Waterfall. After that we had to make a steep climb of 200 m. We ended up in a highland valley. The path continued and the weather turned out to be not as bad as the weather forecast predicted. Yes we did get some rain but as we thought there would be.

    We took a Cappuccino and a cake at Lord Brandon's Cottage. from here just 8 more km to the finish in the Black Valley at Shamrock Farm House !!!

    From here you can go through the Gap of Dunloe, a small passage over the mountain that leads directly back to Killarney. You can make this tour in one day by starting at Killarney by boat, which takes you to Lord Brandon's Cottage an from here you can bike over the Gap back to Killarney. Nice tour.

    The Black Valley is one of the most remote places in Ireland. The Valley got electricity only in the 1970s. It's also home of Ireland's highest peak, the Carrauntoohil with 1040 m above sea level.
    Read more