Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Cahersiveen to Waterville

    August 14, 2017 in Ireland ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    When leaving, we were brought to the starting point of the next leg of the Kerry Point by car as the B&B is 6 km away from the Way itself. The day started rather pleasent, cludy with some sunshine.

    We had to cross severel hilltops, there was a lot of up and down. The track was very boggy and wet. We had to put on our rain trousers.

    After 4 strenous hours of hiking (our average walking speed dropped down to 3 km/h, normally it should be 4,5 km/h), we reached a road, which we didn't want to leave anymore today. The actual Kerry Way went uphill again, but we weren't sure about its condition. Luckily, we found very small road which we followed for 10 km.

    During our walk, we found many unoccupied very old buildings or nearly ruins. Many of them may have been left during the great famine, which started in september 1845. During this period, which lasted until 1849, the country lost 2 millions of its population, one million starved to death the other million emmigrated the country mainly to the United States. Ireland's population dropped from during that period from 8 to 6 million. The country never again recovered as it now still has around 6 million inhabitants.
    Read more