Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 62

    Hawker SA

    September 30, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Still no power but at least the wind has stopped. Going to Quorn today, need to get some meds. They were lucky to have had their power restored. Called in at the butcher, supermarket and stumbled across a lovely Old Emporium which had been turned into a Cafe. They had their own bakery and displayed all manner of old clothes memorabilia and wares. We felt normal again. How stupid to think that we can't do without technology. Well in fact, not so stupid, On the way home we stopped in at the Old Kanyaka Homestead Ruins. It's pretty amazing how they used to construct houses back then. Carted a lot of rocks.
    After lunch we headed up to Jarvis Hill lookout. Tried out the new knees and climbed to the lookout. It took me 20 mins. I'm pretty impressed with myself. On the way home we stopped at the races. The track was heavy and it was pretty much a one horse race won by Clarky's Clacker. We spotted a trailer full of pidgeons. Next thing there was a dog being followed by a man. He came over for a chat. We asked him what he was up to and told us that he was watching over the pidgeons until tomorrow morning, when he would let them go. "Oh yes" we said "where are they going?" we asked and he replied "Ballarat" When he said Ballarat, I asked him if he lived in James St and he replied "I used to but now I live in Clayton St. We used to live next door to him. It's a small world. We talked about the pigeons and how far he takes them. He said he had been doing this for 20 years taking them to places like Charlieville in Qld of all places. His mate had taken another load up to Lyndhurst. He'll let them go in the morning also. He expected that the birds would arrive home in Ballarat tomorrow night, except the ones from Lyndhurst. Power came back on at about 6:00pm (52 hrs later)
    Read more