Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 354

    Karumba Hotel

    July 19, 2017 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 30 °C

    Arrived in Karumba to surprise Aunty Beryl & Uncle Pete and while driving up to the caravan park, we were amazed at the amount of Brolgas just wondering around the roads. Just taking their time. As we pulled up to our site, we got the usual onlookers to see who was arriving and how good they can park their van. Well there they stood watching and as we hung our heads out the window, the response was "you two bloody buggers, what are you doing here?" Might I add that the park staff were most helpful in improving our reversing skills. We stayed for 6 nights and enjoyed the highlights of the Park entertainment, from Bingo to Singalongs, Park cook-ups of the local fish of course, (free for all) we went to the School fete and the Karumba market, which was outside the local pub. Now that looked interesting with it's shady trees and outdoor beer garden. We decided to return later for a meal and watch the sunset. Picked up a bargain on a clothing clearance. They had the usual nuts, socks, bric a brac, wood turned items and fishing gear. Well there was no need for us to buy fishing gear. We often get asked if we like to fish but our reply is, "We both have a fishing rod, which we take on holidays, everywhere we go. Never been used." Not sure they will make it on our next trip.
    We returned later in anticipation of the sunset. You know how you have a vision in head of how it's going to be. It was well worth the effort. The colors from golden yellows to deep reds and crimsons showing through the clouds changing patterns as they drifted into the night. It was spectacular and the food and wine was good.
    Read more