Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Salzburg to Heiligenblut

    June 1, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    This morning we met up again with our dear friend Verena and loaded our gear into her camper (Paulina) ready for our road trip to the small village of Heiligenblut, at the base of the Grossglockner (Austria's tallest mountain).
    This journey took us through picturesque Austrian scenery and we took a small detour to Zell am See - a stunning lake surrounded by snow capped mountains. The sun was shining brilliantly and we enjoyed a drink and picnic by the water watching the small electric boats, SUP paddlers and swans ....no motor boats are allowed on this pristine lake.
    As we continued on our way, the road started to wind up the high mountain pass, taking us to the heart of Hohe Tauern National Park. This journey and the views were simply breathtaking - we were completely surrounded by high mountain peaks covered in snow, with iced-over lakes below.
    The road then switched back and forward, down into the deep valley to the small village of Heiligenblut. When we checked into our hotel and logged into wifi we received a Find Penguins memory and purely by chance it was 5 years to the day that we were last here - the hotel manager remembered us and was astonished by this....the crazy Australians returning to walk the mountain!
    The evening was spent soaking up the views from our balcony in the sunshine.
    Read more