Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Day 19

    August 23, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 37 °C

    Up 7am. Picked up 8.15 for Grand Canyon trip. 6 + pilot per helicopter. Used birthday vouchers from Anne, Peter and Chris to pay for part of trip - special birthday outing.

    40 mins flight across Lake Mead and Hoover Dam. Spectacular landscape and enormous, beautiful lake. Pilot Jake told us about points of interest. Landed in the bottom of the canyon and had fizz and cake (champagne picnic - mmmm). Amusing that picnic benches set up in the canyon and cheeky squirrels and chipmunks come looking for crumbs. 30 min stop then back via refuelling station plonked in the desert. Absolutely amazing trip - really enjoyed it. Bit nervous about first trip in helicopter but we were fine and flight very smooth.

    Back to hotel for tea and regroup then out again 1ish.

    Bought 24 hour Deuce bus tix $8 each - need to save our legs a bit! Went to CIrcus Circus. More old fashioned style casino with proper slot machines and coin pushers. Andy pushed a few coins over and won a pile of tickets. Worth 132 points - enough for a little toy for Nell and some sweets. Biggest win we had!

    Watched a balancing act then had a beer.

    Started to rain so rushed to Wynn for buffet lunch. Huge array of food and new dishes kept appearing. Had several plates and had good value from the 'endless pour'. Very drunk and since discovered my Ballast Point beer is 7 percent! Andy stayed on Stella at 4.8.

    Got Deuce back and went in casino. Andy went to watch a couple of games of craps and I dozed off at the bar. Security lady came to check on me - shows that they are watching all the time.

    Asleep by 9.30.
    Read more