Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Day 22

    August 26, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Restless sleep - time change again but not too bad.

    Tea and out 9ish. Tried to get metro to meeting point for tour - couldn't find entrance! Eventually realised gates were locked so got taxi.

    Put money on metro cards then met up with tour. Little electric buggies. We had the 'celebrity seats' facing backwards. Not ideal but ok.

    Toured all over city with a couple of walking bits to look at major monuments. Guide very good.

    Monuments and memorials are spectacular - they can build big and impressive stuff but they cant build history!

    All major museums run by Smithsonian Institute - Smithson was rich Englishman who had never been to the US but he approved of US principles. He promised his money to his nephew on condition that he produced an heir. He didn't so the money went to the US.

    Went to American History museum - enormous place but far too much about wars. Quite depressing really. Then to sculpture park - clever house that changed perspective as we walked past it.

    Back to hotel 4.30. Cup of tea then wine hour 5.15.

    Has 3 glasses of wine and 1 sangria (waiter was going to throw it away) then off to Stoneys pub 6.30.

    Few beers, crab cake & burger $80 inc tip then home 9.30. Watched Pretty Woman (1990!) and couple of wines.
    Read more