Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Alps Tour - Napoleon Dolomites

    July 16, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We left our hotel in Keins by 9:30. Another police car was setup in the same spot as the day before, and randomly pulling vehicles in. Quick stop for some fuel in Bruneck, then off to explore the Dolomites!

    Traffic was pretty dense again, and it was a slow roll. Between summer holidays and the fact it was Sunday probably didn't help. We eventually got off the main road, and things began to moved along at a more enjoyable pace.

    We stopped for a photo at Durrensee, it was a pretty amazing view, very similar to Jasper Park. A young Italian couple pulled up on a motorcycle next to us. He couldn't have been more than 5'6", and was barely stablizing the bike on his tip-toes as she climbed off and on. He didn't even pull off the road to park, even using a bit of a crosswalk 🤣.

    We traversed three of the four Dolomite passes. Lots of twists, switch-backs, and vistas to be had. Surprisingly, the roads are only open May through October, but there were a few sections under repair with single lane controlled traffic. On one of the valley straightaways we noticed a police jeep in the distance... Surprise, surprise, we got flagged over! They were very polite, and wanted to see ID and registration this time. Soon we were on our way again. The whole area is quite developed, and a multitude of chairlifts and gondolas criss-crossing the valleys.

    Eventually we had to leave the mountains, and head for the valley leading towards Bolzano. It was a crispy 36C, and felt like driving into a hair dryer.. 🥵

    Thankfully the final stretch of our route took us on a goat trail of a road into the forest and over the mountain, and away from the congested traffic of Bolzano.

    Our hotel in Leifer was pretty swanky, and contemporary. A was quick to get the A/C in our room going, but it never really had the cooling effect we were hoping for; definitely better than nothing!

    We decided on a quiet evening, and located a pizzeria just a couple blocks away, so we ordered take-out using whatsapp! A five minute walk in the heat was all we needed. Upon our return to the cool hotel room we devoured the two flavours with some local red wine, and a movie on the iPad; it was too hot to be outside on our large balcony...

    Our ride,
    https://calimoto.com/calimotour/t-3g2r6BDkMF
    Read more