Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 72

    Gotta Grotto 🦇

    August 18, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Friday began and remained dreary. The air felt heavy with stagnant moisture and low clouds. We decided it was a shopping day!

    While shopping in Wessex, we discovered TK Maxx, a UK version of TJ Maxx/Winner's, where we acquired a really nice rainproof jacket. So headed out to find a similar, but slightly larger one for J. First stop was at the local shop in Hartlepool, then headed south to Middlesbrough. Our trip took us off the motorway through the industrial heartland of the area, which is quite spread out and very flat, with the occational hill or dunes.

    After a couple missed turns and some back tracking, we finally made it to the first mall area. It appears we weren't the only ones with the same idea, the parking access was very slow moving, and the stores were bulging with people. A quick peruse of a couple stores, and we moved in to the next mall complex.

    Not having much luck, we turned our attention farther afield, and found ourselves in the Dalton Park Outlet mall, north of Hartlepool. J found a rain jacket, and A picked up a few more items for the Faroe Islands adventure.

    Driving a bit farther north we found ourselves at Marsden Grotto, just east of Newcastle. The Grotto is one of two European cave-bars. We descended the private lift to the beach level to enjoy a seafood dinner over looking the north sea.
    https://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/north-east-engl….
    Read more