Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 87

    Genuine Gjógv

    September 2, 2023 in Faroe Islands ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    After an enjoyable stay in Midvagur, it was time to pack up and move on to Gjogv for a couple nights. We stopped just down the road in Sandavágur to hike and see the "Witch's Finger", a spire of rock that jut up from the ocean.

    We found a place to park and set off to find the trail. Part of the adventure is trying to comprehend the published instructions... 🤓 We did make a "wrong turn" and followed the rocky edge near the ocean before turning around and walking further up the road. As it was a pretty gray day, with low clouds and a splattering of rain, we weren't able to see the fingers ☁️😕

    On the way back we noticed a finish line set up with a bright digital clock timer display near the church. We remembered there was a road running half marathon ending there.

    We carried on driving east, and into the tolled sub-sea tunnel that links Vagur and Streymoy islands. Once we emerged on Streymoy, we took a detour to explore the town of Vestmanna. Along the way A found a view point to stop at for a picnic. It was at this point the wind and rain picked up, so we stayed in the car to eat 🚙🥪😋

    Vestmanna is a fairly large town, and spread out along the shore line. We did a quick tour of the town by car, and made a couple stops for local beer and snacks before heading out. The government liquor store was very minimal and drab 😏

    Retracing our way back but turning east instead through another tunnel. We followed along a very wide open valley to the coast line again. As we rounded a bend by Hvalvic, we noticed a water fall with a torrent of water falling from the heavy rains! Impressive!

    We eventually came to the bridge and crossed over to Eysturoy Island, and heading north along the coast before heading east to Gjogv. The single lane road boasted some amazing views, but were pretty obscured by the heavy rain. We were a bit confused by the large sign indicating a road closure, but realize it was seasonal between October to May due to snow. Onwards!

    The town of Gjogv was very quaint and built up close together along the narrow valley leading to the ocean. We arrived at our accommodations around 5, and decided to have a quick walk around before dinner. Thankfully the rains had stopped, but a few of the exposed areas were quite muddy.

    Our room was very minimalistic, but comfortable. The dinning area was simple, but had an air of sophistication. The premium priced menu was simple as well, so we went with a couple of salads to start, and A ordered the Lamb chops while J ordered the Halibut and risotto. It was a surprise to see the Lamb served with a separate bowl of French fries rather than roasted potatoes and some vegetables...
    Read more