Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 101

    Highlands High Life

    September 16, 2023 in Scotland ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Woke up to sun streaming in around the window covers. Loch na Bruthaich was like glass with the only damper for enjoying some time outside being the fresh bloom of Midges... After some coffee, and crumpets A toasted up, we were on our way; a much earlier start than pervious mornings. Just a short distance down the road was our first stop for the day, a spectacular view point in Drumbeg overseeing Loch a' Chairn Bhain.

    We wove our way around the narrow valleys, blind rock crops, and steep inclines & declines. Although, I think their road grading system is inflated as the posted 25% seemed more like 12% in Canada 😂 Eventually we merged onto the A894, that wasn't much more than the track we came from, but at least it had two lanes for a while👍

    A quick stop in Kylesku to stretch the legs and for A to search for our evening destination. The Kylesku Bridge opened in 1984, and prior to that it was a ferry. Not too far down the road was the town of Scoutie, boasting some magnificent coves with sandy beaches.

    For our lunch we drove to Balnakeil Beach. We were amazed at how many stunning beaches the North end of Scotland has. A heated up a can of smoke haddock chowder (purchased in Torridon) and served with grilled cheese sandwiches, or are they called toasties here? We couldn't help but enjoy a slow walk on such a amazing beach after our lunch. Just down the road passed Durness were three more breathtaking sandy beaches!

    As we drove north on the east side of Loch Eriboll J noticed a strange structure on a narrow peninsula. Turns out it was the Ard Neakie Lime Kilns and quarry built in 1870.
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/ard-neackie…

    We finally reached Bayview Camp Ground just northwest of a gorgeous sandy inlet near Tongue (wonder what they are known for...) The camp ground was fairly empty upon our arrival around 430. A was quick to set up the camp chairs to enjoy the view in the warm sun rays.

    For dinner A whipped out the instant light single-use BBQ to grill up an amazing lamb steak and veggies.
    Read more