Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 113

    Korčula

    September 28, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    An early start to the day as we needed pick up our rental motorcycles and make the ferry to the island Korcula. We arrived at the Hire-a-GS motorcycle office for 8:30, sign paperwork and transfer bags to the bike's storage. A got the Yamaha Tenere 700, D got the Honda Transalp 750, and J the BMW 850GSA. Upon our arrival at the ferry terminal we ended up loading the ferry late as their fuel fill took longer than expected.

    The three hours ferry ride was enjoyable, and people watching was entertaining as always; especially one crew member that did anything but his job 🤣

    Finally arrived in Vela Luka, famished as there was little of interest to eat on the boat, and no breakfast service 🍳😕. We settled on Bistro Beppo Cafe, a restaurant at the north end of the harbour. The place was waterfront, and had a quirky flair. The food was pretty good, but the homemade tortilla chips made from flour we crappy.

    After lunch, did a quick ride up the hill to a nearby lookout, then headed east, and deeper into Korcula island. We zig-zagged from coast to coast as we made our way across the island. Loved the fregrance of the pine forests and a certain honey-like scent in spots. The roads were in good condition. Some of the route was single track, but we only passed a couple cars and it felt like we had it all to ourselves! The temperature was in the mid-20s, and sunbeams not too cooking.

    Arrived at our accommodations near the city of Korcula late of the day. The sun had set by the time we had unpacked and settled in. A&J decided to walk to the old town in search of dinner, while D stayed back and relaxed. The evening was very warm and pleasant, with clear skies, and a full moon.

    We noticed a memorial on the way, and although too dark to see, looked it up later. Apparently the Croatians have a lot of memorials around to pay tribute to all the lives lost fighting wars during the 20th century starting with World War I and the collapse of the Austro-Hungry empire, later fascism, and finally thier independence and the end of the Yugoslavic state.

    We walked through the old town and around the Korcula fortress, settling on a restaurant near the harbour of the old fortification. It was one of the best restaurant meals we've had in the European travels!

    https://www.korculainfo.com/walls/
    Read more