Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Griffith Observatory

    August 27, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Spent the afternoon at Griffith observatory.
    It's is a unique hybrid of public observatory, planetarium, and exhibition space. It was constructed with funds from the bequest of Griffith J. Griffith (who donated the land for Griffith Park in 1896), who specified the purpose, features, and location of the building in his 1919 will. Upon completion of construction in 1935, the Observatory was given to the City of Los Angeles with the provision that it be operated for the public with no admission charge.

    After nearly 67 years Griffith Observatory closed its doors in 2002 for a comprehensive renovation and expansion, the first major capital improvement to the building since it opened in 1935.

    The project was an engineering masterpiece.
    Due to its location, expansion was only possible below the actual building.
    To achieve this, the engineers put the whole building on stilts to achieve zero gravity and dig out a complete floor below. It's mind boggling how they managed it.

    Probably goes well with the mind boggling details of it's exhibition.

    ☀️ 🔭🌙☄️ What a fantastic place to learn about the universe, our solar system and galaxy and even have a peek at the sun 🌠🌌🪐🌍

    Fantastic show in the planetarium about 'Signs of Life'. We even qualified for 'seniors' 😃
    Read more