Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    New England - Roadtrip

    September 13, 2022 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    Today is the start of our roadtrip in New England - MA (Massachusetts), VT (Vermont), ME (Maine) and NH (New Hampshire) - on the hunt for autumn colours and experiencing the beauty of New England.

    Driving out from Boston towards the west - carefully not to hit the toll roads - it feels like a trip through English towns and places with names such as Winchester, Chelsea, Leominster, Worcester .... the list is endless

    A couple of titbits
    👆Massachusetts - The pilgrims establishing the first permanent settlement in North America named this area after a nation of people and also took the name for their colony
    Massachusetts is also known as "The Bay State" in reference to the Cape Cod Bay where early settlements were made.
    👆Vermont - is a state known for its natural landscape, or being home to more than 100 19th-century covered wooden bridges, and as a major producer of maple syrup. So it's Pancakes for breakfast.
    The state's name comes from two French words vert (green) and mont (mountain), which explains Vermont's nickname, the "Green Mountain State."
    👆Maine - a state of unspoiled wilderness. The importance of seafaring in the region is evident in the many lighthouses along the coast.
    Maine's nickname is the “Pine Tree State” because it has over 17 million acres of forests and has recognized the white pine tree as an officially designated state symbol.
    👆New Hampshire - state motto "Live Free or Die" is the best expression for NH's individualistic spirit
    New Hampshire nickname is "Granite State" because of its numerous granite quarries.
    Read more