Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    VT - VT100 scenic byway drive

    September 16, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    At 216.6 miles, Vermont’s longest state highway is also one of the most scenic and well-loved, meandering through the Green Mountains, as well as charming New England villages with all the quintessential Vermont goodness that we have been dreaming of.

    VT100 runs straight through the centre of the state, from north to south. It's a actually quite hard to choose where to stop. There are so many places worth visiting and exploring. Can't do all, at least not in three days!

    👆 Wilmington - a small town at the southern edge of the Green Mountain National Forest.
    👆 Woodstock - named after Woodstock in Oxfordshire. The town was first settled in 1761. It's a very pretty town of renovated brick and clapboard Georgian houses. Restoration of the town was a result of the generosity of philanthropists such as the Rockefeller family.
    It's a gorgeous place to spend some time wandering the streets and along the river.
    👆 Quechee Gorge - at 165 ft / 50m deep, the deepest gorge in Vermont. Stunning views from the top.

    The VT100 runs until Newport on the Canadian border. We leave it at Stowe where we will spend a few days in the Alpine Mountains of Vermont - hiking and hopefully tasting some of the local craft beers.

    One last thing ...
    In 1609, French explorer Samuel de Champlain was the first European to set foot in Vermont. The State's name is derived from the French word for green (vert) and from mountain (mont).
    Having driven through the state from South to North - one can totally understand why.
    Just would like it to be a little more yellow and red at the moment 😬
    Read more