Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    ME - Cape Elizabeth and South Portland

    September 30, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Leaving sightseeing in Portland for our walking tour tomorrow, we decided to explore Cape Elizabeth, Scarborough Marshes and South Portland.

    First Stop, Fort Williams Park at Cape Elizabeth on the edge of Casco Bay. The name of the Casco Bay "Calender Bay" stems from the 18th century myth that there were "as many islands as there are days in the year."
    The park encompasses several historical sites
    👆 Portland Head Light - construction began in 1787 and was completed in 1791. This makes it the oldest of the 66 lighthouses in Maine.
    Even if it's a historic site, it's still being maintained by the US Coast Guard to aid navigation
    👆Goddard Mansion - well, a ruin really.
    Built in 1853–59 for Colonel John Goddard. At the time he was the wealthiest man in Cape Elizabeth and responsible for organising the First Maine Cavalry.
    👆Several Batteries where used to station soldiers during World War II as Portland and Casco Bay served as the home base for the North Atlantic Fleet of the U.S. Navy from 1940-1945.

    To add to our collection of lighthouses, we went to Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse. It's sitting on a 960 ft breakwater in Portland harbor. Walking across the breakwater is a little treacherous as there are some sizable gaps between the granite blocks.

    The lighthouse is quite cute. It's basically consisting of a three-story living area, with the lantern on top.
    Completely different approach to the Portland Head Light which needed a keeper house next to it.
    But nowadays they are all electric anyway.

    And after all this walking and exploring, one needs to find something to eat ... and drink.
    Might not have been the most healthiest meal but it tasted great 😃
    Read more