Satellite
  • Day 8

    Day 2 Fort William - A day of rainbows

    October 22, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ 🌙 7 °C

    We awoke to gale force winds and the news that all sailings from Iona were suspended. The ferry company were to review the situation at 10am. At breakfast (both of us had a cooked breakfast which was delicious) our host, Richard, told us about the situation with two of his other guests who were due to cross to Mull and catch the 9am bus to Craignure (the only bus of the day). He asked that, if were able to get across, would we mind giving them a lift. Of course we agreed with a slight concern about luggage space. We enjoyed a pleasant walk around ‘the village’ in sunshine (and wind) with a few photo opportunities and a visit to one of the little craft shops on the island. We enjoyed Iona but our time there was too short. We would love to return for longer another time.
    As we returned to our B&B we noticed the ferry arrive in Fionnphort from its overnight shelter. We quickly gathered our things, got a lift back to the slipway and we carefully boarded the ferry despite the pitching and rolling. The crossing wasn’t too bad and we were quickly ashore in Fionnphort. We had a very pleasant drive back to Craignure with Kaitlyn and Ellie, mother and daughter who are visiting from Minnesota, and we managed to fit in all of the luggage. We dropped them off at the ferry terminal before we drove around the island a little further.
    We had our lunch overlooking The Sound of Mull. Frequent rain showers led to many rainbows. We eventually headed back to the ferry terminal where we were second in line for our booked crossing. The crossing was relatively calm and we arrived early into Oban. Our drive to Fort William was pleasant and the scenery again impressed, at times rainbows added to the spectacle.
    We have an opportunity for a late start tomorrow before our return train journey to Mallaig - voted the best train journey in the world!
    Read more