Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 4 Kinlochleven

    October 24, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    After a leisurely start, we enjoyed browsing in the many outdoor shops Fort William has to offer. Andrew bought some walking trousers and Sarah bought a new rucksack and waterproof jacket. We also popped into the bakers to buy some provisions for our lunch. The weather in the morning was overcast and rainy but the forecast was looking good for the afternoon.

    We set off in the car to Kinlochleven (after a short detour to Glen Nevis so that Andrew could show Sarah the campsite he has stayed in before and also to get good views of Ben Nevis). The scenery on our drive was once again spectacular, the autumn colours made to look even better by the sunshine that had broken through. After our picnic lunch we set off on a walk. Sarah was very excited to be able to walk a short section of the West Highland Way and Andrew enjoyed seeing the route in a different season (it has usually been late spring when he was walked the Way in the past). Our route took us on a steady climb upwards, which at times Sarah found hard-going, but the wonderful views and autumn colours made it worthwhile and encouraged us to keep going. Eventually the path flattened out and we were rewarded with amazing views looking down to Kinlochleven and Loch Leven with the mountains all around us. Incredible! We enjoyed a cup of tea from our flask while taking in the views. However, after a while we could see a rain shower approaching so we quickly put on our waterproofs and began our descent. It was just a short shower thankfully and we enjoyed the walk back to the car.
    Read more