Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Day 6 Around Skye

    October 26, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    After a pleasant breakfast overlooking the loch, where we saw two herons, six geese and a few sheep at the water’s edge, we set off in the car to explore Skye. We first drove to Portree which is the capital of the Island. We parked up and wandered around the streets looking in a few shops and galleries. We also walked down the hill to the harbour where the water was crystal clear, we could see the little fish various seabirds were diving to catch. We bought our lunch from the only market stall in the town square, we both chose rolls where the filling was added before baking. Leaving Portree we carried on north along the single track road stopping at a couple of viewpoints at the side of the road to take in the scenery, made even better by the bright sunshine today.

    Our drive took us past ‘The Old Man of Storr’ (a large pinnacle of rock that stands high and can be seen for miles around). We reached the northern extremity of Skye and then followed the road south to Uig, which is a very pretty village set around a curved bay and harbour. Ferries depart from Uig for the islands of Harris and Lewis. We found a pottery shop where we spent a pleasant time browsing and watching the artists at work.

    From Uig we made our way back to our B&B where we had a little rest before heading out for dinner. We decided to eat at the Edinbane Inn (a 15 minute drive away). Sarah had mussels (from Loch Eishort) and Andrew had cullen skink (a creamy smoked haddock soup with potatoes). Both dishes were delicious! For main course, Sarah chose herb crusted fillet of hake with cannellini purée and a hot salad of tomato, spinach and potato. Andrew chose venison and smoked bacon burger on a brioche bun. A very delicious meal.

    We enjoyed the quiet roads and marvelled at the starry sky on our journey back. However we had to be on the look out as we encountered sheep sitting and wandering in the middle of the road! We have really enjoyed our time on Skye and would like to come back to do some walking and explore other parts of the island.
    Read more