Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Pinhao, Quinta Da Pacheca & Mateus

    May 24, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Breakfasted at Quinta Da Rosa; excellent position overlooking the river.
    Sailed off in the van to follow the Tour Taylor (TT) instructions to Quinta Da Pacheca for wine tour & tasting at 1030. Wine has been produced here since 1538, when it was a monastery. 2005 it was developed into an upmarket hotel. The traditional 18th century house has been restored, and is now a wonderful blend of old and new. Lunch had been booked by TT and was the best food so far.
    The rest of the afternoon was pretty much written off; but someone had to do it!
    I managed to drag the crew to Villa Real (palace) of Mateus! Now you all remember the Mateus bottles with candles stuck in them - the height of sophistication in the 1970 NZ. I was pleased to see that in the intervening 35 yrs they hadn’t completely dropped the ball! Bought back great memories of touring here with Geoff & z Lucy in 88. Especially Geoff’s concern about the dead lady in the pond! The marble statue is still reclining in the pond. The garden was quite good, lots of box hedge trimming to do.
    Achieved laundry in Villa Real, bought cheese etc for dinner to try and reign in the excesses! We are not winning 🥇
    Read more