Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Fira (Thira), Santorini

    September 7, 2016 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Our second day brought us to Fira (Thira), the main city of Santorini, which itself is classically also called Thera (English) or Thira (Greek). Fira spreads widely on the 400m high edge of the caldera. Similar to Oia, it consists also of many white-washed houses with deep blue swimming pools & jaccuzis which lighten up the night.

    Best of Fira:

    - Drive there by Bus or Quad, if you stay in another village. Traffic can be difficult in a car! The Bus therefor is super cheap, air-conditioned and fast. The Quad on the other side fits in any parking spot and provides you with a nice breeze in the hot sun.

    - Walk along the caldera all the way from one side to the other of Fira. You'll have incredible views, a nice breeze and silence from most of the tourists.

    - Do what all tourists do: find your way through the grouded two main tourist streets with hundreds pf shops (door on door) full of jewelery, postcards, white light clothes & nice greek people.

    - Enjoy the sunset in one in one of the restaurants, that also have a terrace above the busy streets. I can highly recommend a place called "Argo" - perfect choice of traditional Greek food, professional staff and of course the setting sun right in front of you... just have a look on Tripadvisor or similar.
    Read more