Satellite
  • Day 92

    Stuck again

    February 6, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Despite the fact that we had quite some time the previous day waiting for the road to open, we didn't really have a good plan on what we wanted to do today. Knowing that we only had 5 days left in New Zealand and more than 700km to go, we knew it would be almost impossible to do any complete day or multi day hikes. We decided to drive to Wanaka straight away. There we wanted to have a look at the Puzzling World, which had illusion rooms and the world's first 'Great Maze'. The illusion rooms were fun and playing with our minds. The Maze was also fun originally but soon drove us crazy. The challenge was to reach specific points in a specific order, and we utterly failed and got stuck several times. We also read that the average visitor walks around 3.5-5km while the maze only has 1.5km... So that was our unvoluntary hike of the day. It was a good maze. The center also had very social toilets.

    Afterwards we felt mentally and physically tired. So we decided to leave other hikes for the next day and went to the DOC office to ask for nice walking possibilities in the area. Turned out there was a nice one right behind our chosen campsite for tonight. So that sounded perfect for tomorrow. For now we just visited #thatwanakatree and then left Wanaka behind to drive north. The campsite was very crowded but the view of the bay was gorgeous. We could chill on the grass next to our tent at sunset watching some water skiing.
    Read more