Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 298

    Jaipur

    December 11, 2023 in India ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    The walking tours we did in Delhi and Jaisalmer were some of the best things we've done in India so far, especially in terms of learning about Indian culture, food and travel tips, so we decided to do a walking tour in Jaipur as well. After a solid 10 hour sleep, we met with our guide near Hawa Mahal (palace of windows) to start our walking tour. We spent a few hours walking around central Jaipur, visiting some temples and markets. We visited the largest temple dedicated to Lord Krishna (see video), and flower, fruit/vegetables and wedding markets.

    One of the most interesting stops was at some market stalls where people sold food for cows, monkeys, pigeons and ants (a flour and sugar powder mix). Our guide explained that Indians believe heavily in karma, and that if you feed animals, you will be treated with good karma in return. The type of karma or luck that you are seeking determines the animal you should feed (cows for those looking to have children or favors in real estate, ants for general good luck and birds for luck related to education or careers).

    Between the three walking tours we've done in India so far, as well as speaking to locals, we've learnt a lot about the caste system, arranged marriages and the quality of life in India. India is a country with huge pollution, corruption and overpopulation issues, as well as massive generational and class inequality. Through conversations with young people we've met, we've noticed recurring themes of the conflict between them wanting to uphold culture and tradition (as expected by their families), while also craving the freedoms we experience in western society. We've learnt how the caste system (over 3,000 years old) is so deeply embedded into Indian culture that even today it is not possible to change castes (even if you are highly educated or work in a highly regarded field) or marry outside your caste. We have met people who have married outside of their caste, which has resulted in their families and villages turning on them, and people in very unhappy arranged marriages. Being in India has made us realize just how lucky we are to live in a society where we have the freedom to choose who we love and what we do in New Zealand.

    The last couple of days were spent resting as Mike recovered from a bit of Delhi Belly, and visiting Jaipur's most famous attraction: Amer Fort. We took a tuktuk 20min north of Jaipur City and stopped into Panna Meena Ka Kund - a famous stepwell built in the 16th century. We stopped for a chat with a local guru, some photos, and to admire the longest tail we'd ever seen on a monkey. After the stepwell, we walked up to Amer Fort and spent a couple of hours wandering the former residence of the Rajput Maharajas
    Read more