Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 307

    Delhi

    December 20, 2023 in India ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    We were hoping for a short travel day today, as we were only meant to take a 3hr train from Agra to Delhi, arriving after lunch. However, we'd arrived at the train station an hour early (to avoid a repeat of our episode of trying to leave Varanasi) only to find that our train was delayed. We sat at the train station, fending off beggars and watching rats and monkeys, as our train was delayed three times, with us able to eventually leave 2hrs late at 12.15pm.

    We finally arrived at New Delhi Rail Station around 5pm, instead of the scheduled 1.40pm. We'd predicted that after 300+ days of travel and 3 weeks of questionable hostels/guesthouses and cold and/or bucket showers in India, we'd want to stay somewhere nice for a night. We had some points saved up and booked ourselves in for a night at The Metropolitan - a 5 star hotel in Connaught Place. We were right with our predictions because we are both exhausted and feeling run down and really need a proper shower and rest.

    We checked in, enjoyed a nice hot shower (that actually lasts more than 2mins) and ordered room service for dinner. The next day, we slept in and woke up to very smoggy views over Delhi and a delicious buffet breakfast. We wandered around Connaught Place and do some window shopping.
    Our window shopping turned into proper shopping pretty quickly as we found a lot of things we needed to buy were on sale anyway. We say "needed" because all of Mike's socks were holey. After squeezing our shopping into our bags, we made our way to the airport, boarded our flight and arrived in Sri Lanka in the wee hours of the morning.
    Read more