Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 310

    Unawatuna*

    December 23, 2023 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Today was another travel day that was a lot longer and harder than it should have been. We needed to leave Negombo and make our way to Unawatuna on the south coast, which would be our home over Christmas. We had planned to Uber to a bus station to the east of Colombo (about an hours drive from Negombo), take a 2hr express bus to Galle, and then take a 20min tuktuk to Unawatuna. We had issues with our tuktuk from Negombo (drove for 2.5hrs only to get to the edge of Colombo city), so we gave up and asked him to take us to the closer Colombo Fort Station. We couldn't take a train to Galle as seats were sold out, so we had to take a bus which went along the coastal highway and took 4hrs to reach Galle. We left Negombo at 10am and finally arrived at Unawatuna just after 5pm.

    We are both absolutely shattered from today, as well as from 5 out of the last 9 days being travel days. Once we checked into our hotel, we showered, grabbed shwarma for dinner and went for a quick walk on the beach before we went to bed before 8pm (for the 2nd day in a row). We are really looking forward to spending the next 10 days (including Christmas and New Years) resting and relaxing on the beach.
    Read more