Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 331

    Cass’s Birthday!

    January 13 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    Today was a big day! The big 3-0 !

    Last night we had an acrobatics show booked and we were lucky enough to get seats in the 4th row. It was a cute show which was very well choreographed about the history and growth of Vietnam into what it is today.

    On top of the show last night and to further celebrate the big occasion, Cass wanted to make the most of being in Vietnam and eat all day, and eat we did. After a wake up call of Mike poorly singing happy birthday we started our food tour with a roadside phố and bún (8/10). A lady with a bike cart happened to ride by with some fried banana so we stopped her for some breakfast dessert and after a quick laugh with the lady about her ripping us off (we paid her anyway as it was a few cents only) we ate our coconut sauce - topped fried banana (7/10) on our way to our target for the morning - an egg coffee. These are absolutely delicious (11/10) and will become a regular fixture in our days in Vietnam. After wandering around for a few hours looking for a tour to the Cu Chị tunnels we found ourselves ready for lunch - where we discovered crispy phố and pork bún chả! The phố was not soupy as we expected, but more saucy with fried noodles (9/10). The bún chả was deconstructed, but each mouthful was delicious and so full of flavour (10/10). We couldn’t eat much more before a quick mid day nap so that’s exactly what we did.

    Dinner was a degustation of street food. First up was pork sticky rice and a custard bảo (both 10/10) from a place we visited on our walking tour 2 days prior), then spring rolls (7/10), xíu mại (8/10) and then bột chiên (fried tapioca cake) (6/10). Lastly, we had dessert which were in essence profiteroles, but were beautifully decorated and filled with a variety of flavours - we got a passion fruit, almond and chocolate, and 2x chocolate topped and chocolate filled (10/10). I count 8x food and drink stops - we couldn’t possibly have eaten more today!
    Read more