Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Sarasota Bay Front

    May 6, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    The free trolley 🚎 bus took us from St. Armands over Bird Key and into Sarasota. We got off as the bus started to make its return journey and headed straight down to the Marina. Stopping (not shopping 🛍) for a nice cold can of coke and a packet of crisps or as they say here chips!
    In the Marina we saw several green parrots 🦜 (their correct name being Monk Parakeets) flying around and then decided to recreate the Kissing Statue.

    What Is The Kissing Statue?

    Unconditional Surrender, otherwise known as the “Kissing Statue,” is a greater-than-life size version of a famous photograph snapped at the end of World War II. The original photograph, entitled “V-J day in Times Square” by Alfred Eisenstaedt, captures the celebratory essence of sailors, nurses and other military returning home from Europe after WWII ended. Originally printed in Life Magazine in 1945, this image was the cause of some mystery for decades as no one, including the photographer, knew the names of the couple in the photograph. Eventually, it became known that George Medonza, caught up in the spirit of the celebration that day, had grabbed Greta Zimmer Friedman, a woman he didn’t know who was walking past him at the time and kissed her before moving on in the crowd. Medonza passed away in February of 2019 at the age of 95.
    Read more