Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    A Friend in Need....

    October 15, 2023 in England ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Background:
    Jayne came home from a catch-up with her friend Pat with a question............. "Pat has asked me to go to Lithuania with her to look after her after she has an an operation, and she can't ask anyone else." "Oh!", I said, "And are you going to go?"I've never been on a plane without you," came Jayne's response, "So you will have to come with me!" "OH!!!!" was my response.
    After clarifying exactly which city in Lithuania Pat was going to, my immediate reaction was to Google - Is Kaunas Lithuania worth visiting?
    Nice old buildings, good restaurants. It's definitely worth visiting and having a nice stroll. Also, it is very nice to go for a walk along the river and visit an Old Castle and St. George church. Doesn't sound too bad for a couple of days away in the summer ........ but we were going for seven days mid-October!

    So after a lazy Sunday morning, our taxi 🚖arrived to take us to the John Lennon Airport in Liverpool, picking up Pat en-route. The drive made a pleasant change from travelling to Manchester Airport, and with far fewer passengers travelling from here, we were quickly checked in through passport control and security.
    Our Ryanair flight took off 🛫 on time with just a handful of Brits on board the full flight landing just over 3 hours later in Lithuania's 🇱🇹 2nd city Kaunas. After clearing Immigration we quickly collected our bags and met the taxi 🚕 provided by the clinic to take us the 20-minute drive from the airport to the Radisson Hotel on the outskirts of Kaunas Old Town.
    After checking in and making our way to our home for the next 7 days, I checked the view from our bedroom window and was pleasantly surprised to see a "Cathedral" type building lit up. At least we had a decent landmark for finding our way back to the hotel if nothing else!!
    Read more