Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Another Day Another Church

    October 19, 2023 in Lithuania ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    Christ's Resurrection Church
    This magnificent Art Deco church is a reflection of Lithuania’s turbulent history. It is the biggest basilica-type church in the Baltic States. The church was built in 1932–1940 after Lithuania regained independence. In 1922, the idea was to build a church as a symbol of thank-you to God for freedom regained in the temporary capital Kaunas emerged. However, construction was stopped by the Soviet occupation. The building was confiscated and used as premises for the radio factory (later called “Banga”) after the war. In 1990, the church was returned to congregation, during the restoration of the church, some changes were made in its project. The space in the church is in the style of a basilica with three naves. The architecture is monumental and laconic; the tower is 70 meters high. Visitors have the possibility to go to the observation deck on the church roof to enjoy the panoramic view of the city.
    After walking into the Church and having a look around the nave area with its altars and confessional boxes I decided to explore the upper echelons’ and feeling fit with no gym time I took the stairs rather than the lift! Stepping past numerous locked doors and windows in the tower; looking out onto the street below, I was thinking maybe the lift would have been a better idea!! Finally, with a beating heart 💞 I see daylight only to realise I have reached the roof of the church and not the top of the tower, which thankfully didn’t have any access. Unfortunately, the way the roof is set up didn’t provide 360-degree views. One side of the church overlooked the old town and river, including the area with our hotel whilst the opposite side looked out over the industrial area and residential area in the distance.
    It was a lot easier walking 😁👍 down the stairwell and then again walking down back to the old town.
    Read more