Satellite
  • Day 38

    4 Stories Above the Capital

    July 11, 2018 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ 90 °F

    After arriving yesterday around 1330, I checked into the hotel and then had two missions to accomplish. First, I had some magazines that my American friend, whom I met in Hong Kong and ran into in Bangkok, asked me take to an Aussie hasher here. Target acquired and mission complete. Second, I needed to take 50,000 kip owed on a bet to Darren, the proprietor of the Billibong Bar, from Gary, the proprietor of the Irish Bar in Vang Vieng. Again, success.

    I'm on a search for a motorbike to rent and, after grabbing a pin at the Hard Rock Rock Shop (no cafe right now), stopped in at a place on the fourth floor of a building overlooking the Mekong River.

    Even after 12 days in Lao PDR, I still do a double take when I see the Hammer and Sickle flag. There are no McDonald's, no Burger Kings, no Taco Bells allowed here. Yesterday, I saw a soldier (?) walking with his AK-47 or some sort of fully automatic long weapon. I've seen several BMWs and a Ferrari, which are most likely owned by government officials, so I've been told. It's very strange.

    I just noticed this morning that my leech bites are just about fully healed. They never hurt, but certainly bled for quite a while after removing the leeches because of the anticoagulant in their saliva. Pretty cool.

    Weather Underground says it's 90°F and feels like 102. I believe it. I've taken to wearing only dry fit shirts with my pink shorts (both dry very quickly) and carrying a waterproof bag so I can walk in the rain, which cuts the humidity and feels great.

    Time to finish my beer, have a snack (it's too hot to eat a full meal), and find that motorbike for tomorrow.

    Out for now. ✌️

    P.S.: What's the point of putting the cardboard tube in the toilet paper roll if there's no where to hang the roll? 😀
    Read more