Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Koh Lipe - Day 1

    April 21, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 30 °C

    Today we were on the move to Koh Lipe from Koh Phi Phi. It’s a long way, Lipe is part of Thailand but if actually closer to Malaysia than it is any part of Thailand.

    The four hour trip is made by boat. Speedboat is the form of transport. I was so nervous about the trip because I have read that the speedboats are over crowded, lack life jackets and the drivers drive like wild and it’s a bumpy ride. The thought of 4 hours of that wasn’t ideal. However my fears were unfounded, because we are travelling at the end of peak season, the speedboat wasn’t crowded, lifejackets were plentiful, and we were blessed with glassy water so a reasonably smooth ride. Don’t get me wrong we were thrilled to get off that speedboat, it was exhausting, but could have been worse.

    The hotel arranged for a man to meet us at the dock and bring our bags to the hotel. Transport on lipe are these bikes with sidecars so we jumped on that and buzzed through town to our hotel - Anda Resort.

    After we checked in we just chilled and had lunch before heading to the beach bars on Pattaya Beach for sunset happy hour (2-4-1 Majitos for $15aud), dinner on the beach (another fish for Daniel) and a fire show.

    We also had a wander down Walking Street - the hub of Koh Lipe.

    Because of the proximity to Malaysia, there are a ton of holidaying Malaysians here, and then various Europeans. One again doesn’t seem to be any other aussies or kiwis. The vibe is totally different to anywhere else in Thailand that we have been - interested to explore the island more.
    Read more