Satellite
  • Day 71

    Georgia, we'll miss you!

    November 8, 2017 in Georgia ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    Nana & Vazha made us a truly warm welcome in Lagodekhi with coffee, bread and cheese by their fireplace. They have a beautiful house, surrounded by a garden full of vine stocks, pomegranate and persimmon trees. Each year they pick three tons of grapes, from which Vazha turns one ton into vine for their personal use.

    Pretty quickly during our conversations, we decided to stay a day longer to explore the Lagodekhi National Reserve, Vazha had been working for 28 years as a director, by foot. Our 1-day-hike to the Black Grouse waterfall whetted our appetite for more hiking in this area.

    Nana prepared us super delicious Georgian meals and, not to forget, without Vazha's experience and help, our trip would have ended in Lagodekhi for the moment when the axis of Hauke's front wheel broke during a minor repair - true to the motto "Don't push too hard (Nach fest kommt ab)". According to Murphy's Law, we didn't carry a spare part, so Vazha and Hauke drove around the town to find something they could use - and luckily, in a small hobbyist workshop, they found a suitable shaft - a bit bent and rusty, but better than nothing! And after almost 500km, it still works :)

    Our last two evenings in Georgia were really cosy, sitting together by the fireplace, chatting (two other travelers from Poland arrived in the Guesthouse as well), drinking homemade wine and reading.

    For sure, one day we'll visit this beautiful country again solely because of the people's kindness, the beautiful mountains and the delicious food!
    Read more