Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Girona

    July 14, 2020 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 75 °F

    After an early morning country-walk outside the village of Mont-ras we packed up and headed to Girona, 45-minutes inland. This quaint city was a wonderful surprise. We did not visit any indoor tourist attractions even though several art museums beckoned (this has been our rule the entire trip- too many new indications about possible Covid-19 aerosol transmission). Shopping also wasn’t on our agenda but I would love to return someday to visit the charming boutiques that are scattered throughout the old town.
    The River Onyar cuts through the city, although very shallow, it’s full of carp (fishing for carp features large in our early dating experiences).
    Climbing up to the top of the old city walls with a mask on was not a particularly pleasant experience. But the views from the medieval walkway that surrounds old quarter made the effort worthwhile. We loved wandering the cobblestoned streets in the Jewish Quarter and the food is outstanding here (yes, they had Vermouth on tap as you can see in the photo!) The Nord 1901 hotel was a block away from the main plaza and the hidden courtyard pool was a welcome relief after sightseeing.
    Read more