Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 5 - Lighthouses

    June 14, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Staying in an apartment in the Old Port is super convenient and an early morning walk on the Eastern Promenade was an attempt to shed some of the accumulating vacation pounds. This scenic waterfront trail parallels an old railway. Not sure 4 miles was enough to address the expanding waistline, but after all, this is a vacation, right?

    One of Edward Hopper's well-known paintings"The Lighthouse at Two Lights," depicts one of Maine’s oldest lighthouses. This was a must-see tourist stop for us! We were lucky the rain held off so we could appreciate Portland Head Light and understand why it’s one of the most photographed lighthouses in the U.S.

    Apartment update: The window washers have been replaced by painters... at least Alex won’t feel lonely while he’s working during the day. Never a dull moment here in Portland!

    A couple of galleries filled out the afternoon, both conveniently across the street from our apartment. A couple of interesting pieces, but nothing to match the Addison Gallery in Orleans!

    Dinner out featured deviled egg appetizers (famous here in Portland) and several unusual mixed drinks; Emergency Margarita anyone?
    Read more