Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    The Siena “Drift”

    May 13, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    A “drift” is when you either wander aimlessly around a town stopping at whatever catches your eye or else choose a distant destination as your guide even if you never end up there. We drift around Estepona all the time. And even though it is our backyard, something always seems to happen to knock us off course.
    After two long days we decided to drift around Siena (keeping the major sites in mind). Palazzo Chigi Piccolomini was our first stop followed by the Duomo complex. We continued our art gallery tour and even bought some trinkets (a hand-carved candle and some wooden/ceramic bowls). We enjoyed a lazy lunch overlooking the Piazza del Campo (more on this Plaza here https://www.pps.org/places/piazza-del-campo#:~:….
    Although pizza, along with many other “Italian” dishes, was actually invented in the States https://www.ft.com/content/6ac009d5-dbfd-4a86-8… …they’ve definitely perfected it here in Siena! Stumbling across a horticultural fair was fun and the search for the Weekend FT newspaper took us to several hidden corners of the city. We aren’t too worried about calories here on these hilly streets of Siena, my watch recorded 13,467 steps and 11 flights by 4:30. On our way back to our rental, at the 5th news kiosk we struck gold, and none too soon as he was just closing up!)
    And yes, drifts also include stops for food and drink… the afternoon stop was for gelato (with some Find Penguins blogging.)
    Read more