Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Lovely Day in Malaga

    March 11, 2020 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 72 °F

    We visited Malaga for the first time just over 4 months ago. We were on another TransAtlantic crossing — westbound to return us to the US ... accompanied by mom and Aylin. We went to the cathedral then ... and also to the Picasso Museum. Did a lot of walking and had a great tapas lunch at a restaurant with sidewalk seating. The weather was delightful and we really enjoyed our day then.

    Some people don’t like returning to the same port when they are cruising. We don’t mind actually ... as long as there is plenty to still explore ... definitely the case for Malaga. We had another lovely day, with sunshine, blue skies, and a comfy high temp of 75F.

    Disembarking Allure of the Seas around 10:00a, we bought our shuttle bus tickets — €5pp R/T — for a short 10 minute ride to El Palmeral, a promenade park near the heart of the city. We started off with a detour in our plans when I noticed an advertisement for a special exhibit. It was amazing.

    Then we strolled into downtown, following a meandering path to El Marisquero ... where we had lunch in October ... it did not disappoint ... the tapas were as good as we remembered they were.

    From here, we wandered into the Mercado Central and then continued our meandering walk to a small museum I had read about ... well worth going out of our way to visit it.

    We wrapped up our day with “helado” ...🍦... creamy and delicious. The sweet treat gave us the extra energy we needed to return to El Palmeral to catch the shuttle back to the ship.

    In summary, a lovely day! We still have a lot to see and do — both in and outside the city. Would definitely not mind another port call in Malaga ... or maybe we’ll make our plan for a self-drive tour around Spain a reality in a year or two and spend extra time here.

    I’ll write separately about the exhibit and the museum, so just sharing a few general photos with this footprint.
    Read more