Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    At IST ...

    March 19, 2020 in Turkey ⋅ ☁️ 45 °F

    TK2309 was scheduled to land at 9:20a. We did so much earlier. With very little ground traffic, we also made it to the jetway at the domestic terminal in record time.

    It was so odd to see the concourse and baggage claim all but deserted. Far from the norm here at IST. There were more people wandering about and standing at the counters when we crossed over to the international terminal, but no lines whatsoever at immigration ... two minutes, if that, and we were in the secure area. Now — at 11:15a — the number of people wandering around has grown, but nowhere near to the numbers that we’re used to seeing here.

    Most of the people around the check-in counters were trying to find ways to get home ... lots and lots of canceled flights. One large group of passengers were protesting, marching while chanting “Bu uçak kalkacak.” (This airplane is going to take off.) They peaceably dispersed when the police showed up.

    Mui and I headed to the THY Business Lounge ... only to find that wing of the airport closed in its entirety. So we re-routed to the Smiles & Miles Club ... another THY Lounge. I’ll give you a tour in a separate footprint.

    Our gate assignment for the Houston flight has been posted ... no blinking yellow words next to it. That’s a good thing.
    Read more