Satellite
Show on map
  • Why Blog with FindPenguins?

    February 6, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 39 °F

    When we decided to book RTW2017, I struggled with the decision to blog or not.

    It wasn’t that I didn’t want to write about our adventure. I did. I love writing about our travels as an insurance against those days that will eventually come when “armchair traveling” will be our only option. And I enjoy sharing our trips with others. Thus, a blog is the perfect means for both.

    The struggle was because I know myself. I start out OK. But the further we get into the trip, the more difficult it gets to stay on top of the blog ... the farther I fall behind. This has happened with every blog I’ve written ... including the one I eventually decided to write for RTW2017.

    The problem, you see, is that I would rather be out and about enjoying the moment. And then there is also the availability — or lack thereof — of a wifi or data signal to post to the blog.

    So, for RTW2017, I came up with the idea of doing a private journal with all the nitty gritty of each day. The plan was to then post a snippet to the blog each day and include a couple of photos. Well, that didn’t work so great ... for a variety of reasons. Eventually — well after we were back home — I got the blog all caught up and the story of RTW2017 was completed ... thanks to staying on top of my private journal during the voyage so I could pull out details after the fact.

    So, for RTW2023, I am going to use FindPenguins instead of Blogger to recount our travel stories. Admittedly, I much prefer the story-telling format of Blogger. Photos interspersed amongst words work so much better. But I’ve tried it unsuccessfully. No sense in banging my head up against the same wall ... over and over again.

    The FindPenguins format is a lot simpler. That should keep me on the straight and narrow🤞🏻. As well, I can use my phone or iPad to post footprints anywhere ... anytime. After all, that is the purpose of this app. I won’t have to rely on the often-iffy wi-fi signal on the ship. I can draft up the footprints, and if the ship’s wi-fi doesn’t work, I can start posting as soon as I get within a data signal with my T-Mobile plan.

    Thus, once again, I will attempt to tell the story of a RTW voyage. Hopefully doing better with live or near-live footprints. I will maintain my journal as well ... in case I have to rely on it for missed details … again!

    All I can do is try!
    Read more