Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Day 14 Ends in Anchorage

    May 16, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 50 °F

    We have a new favorite restaurant in Anchorage to add to our list ... Ginger. The restaurant, which specializes in Pacific Rim cuisine, has been around for 14 years. We obviously missed it when we were in Anchorage in 2010. In our defense, that was a very short visit.

    We all enjoyed our dining experience very much. The ambiance — so not Alaska — was a nice change of pace. The service was great ... Joey, in fact, was the consummate waiter. The food ... well, it was excellent.

    Definitely a place we’ll be looking to return to when we next visit Anchorage.

    —————————————-

    For those interested in such things, here’s a description of the various dishes featured in the “food porn” photo ... except for the delicious salad I had as my main course ... it looked as good as it tasted, but I forgot to take a photo.

    Drinks: Deniz … a specialty cocktail … Chupacabra ... tequila, fresh squeezed lemon and grapefruit, agave and jalapeño syrup // Me … King Street Pilsner // Mui … a red zinfandel.

    Appetizer to Share: sweet & spicy crispy pork egg rolls … sriracha spiced ground pork and sesame marinated Asian vegetables with sweet chili dipping sauce … surprisingly mild.

    Soup for Deniz: banana and lemongrass soup with deviled crab and curried/candied eggplant … an interesting combo of tastes.

    Main Courses: Deniz … Mee Krob … sweet and spicy chicken, pork, and shrimp sautéed with mixed peppers & jalapeños over crispy vermicelli & rice noodles … his only complaint was that the sriracha smear on the plate was just a bit too spicy // Me … strawberry chili … butter leaf hearts tossed in a creamy sweet chili cilantro dressing with fresh strawberries, and candied pecans // Mui … glazed pork belly with cilantro rice and grilled broccolini … while he could not fault the tasty predation, it was just a little too fatty for his taste … he should have stuck with the seared ahi he had his eye on initially.

    Dessert to Share: green tea crème brûlée … fresh strawberry, house made whipped cream … very creamy and not too sweet.
    Read more