Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Big Delta SHP & Rika’s Roadhouse

    June 14, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    I’ll start out by saying that we had a visitor last night. It was well past 11:00p when I heard a noise that sounded like a herd of elephants crashing through the brush. Turns out it was a porcupine coming to check us out. No photo alas. As soon as it noticed us at the screen door, it turned tail and crashed back into the brush.

    Our first stop this morning didn’t require a drive as it was the Big Delta State Historical Park where we are camping.

    This is an unattended park ... admission fees paid at a kiosk ... based on an honor system. Our camping fee of $20/night included two passes, so no additional fees due on our part.

    In addition to a barn, an outbuilding with a sod roof (that serves as a museum), and two buildings that used to belong to WAMCATS (Washington-Alaska Military Cable & Telegraph System), the main attraction at the park is Rika’s Roadhouse, which was built in 1910. It was purchased by Rita in 1923. A stopover on the historic Valdez-Fairbanks Trail, it served travelers until 1947 ... providing them with a place to sleep, a bite to eat, and a hot bath and other amenities.
    Read more