Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 82

    Kenai Peninsula Drive

    23. juli 2021, Forente stater ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    With a rain-free day forecasted for today, we shifted our plans and did our chores yesterday and went for a drive around the Kenai Peninsula today. Thus skipping day 81 in this journal/blog.

    Though the sky above us was blue when we got to Baycrest — the overlook from which one can glimpse the Homer Spit — everything below us was hidden by low lying clouds that gave the impression of looking down on a bowl of Cool Whip. This scenery, and the small garden of colorful flowers, turned out to be the highlight of our day.

    Our drive took us north to the city of Kenai. I was expecting a scenic coastal drive, but for much of the way, a screen of trees hid the scenery. What scenery there was across Cook Inlet was hidden behind clouds. Luckily, they lifted a bit on the way back and we managed a couple of hazy glimpses of some of the volcanoes on the far side of the inlet.

    Initially, we were planning to have a late lunch in Kenai. But the restaurant that came highly recommended was filled to the gills. It was noisy inside and the ambiance didn’t tickle our fancy. So, we decided to head back to Homer for our meal.

    Along the way, we stopped at Anchor Point State Park … the furthest western point of the US that is reachable by car. We were hoping to see tractors towing fishing boats out to the inlet during low tide. Unfortunately, it was high tide when we arrived. Oh well … sometimes you lose.
    Les mer