Satellite
Show on map
  • Reminiscing: Trapani, Sicily

    February 19, 2022 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 45 °F

    In 2015, when we deposited our 2017 world cruise on Insignia, we had yet to do a cruise on Oceania. We figured it would be a smart thing to "test the waters," so to speak, before we were committed irrevocably. So, later that year, we sailed on a Mediterranean cruise on sister-ship Nautica ... in the twin of the aft-facing cabin we'd booked as our home away from home for 180 days on Insignia.

    One of the ports of call on that cruise was Trapani ... in western Sicily. This call was our first taste of Sicily ... one that we would satiate on later cruises. But we never made it back to Trapani. COVID-willing we'll be revisiting it this year.

    The most popular tour from Trapani is to the mountaintop town of Erice. Alas, clouds were wreathing most of the mountain when we pulled into the cruise terminal that morning. So we decided it wasn't going to be a smart move to go up there. The clouds cleared later in the day. Brilliant sunshine and blue skies graced us. But, by then, it was too late to visit Erice.

    No problem. One of our favorite ways to explore a new-to-us place is on foot ... a meandering walk that takes us here and there and wherever. We strolled along the waterfront, noting the fortifications that still stood strong; found cobblestoned side streets lined with buildings painted a brilliant yellow; checked out the fresh fish market where the bounty of the sea was still wriggling on the display platforms; craned our necks to view the beautiful murals in the cathedral; taste-tested (not once but twice) delicious gelato and cannoli in out-of-the-way cafés where the locals were more than happy to let Mui practice his rusty-Italian on them.

    We made great memories in Trapani in 2015. We hope to add more memories this year.
    Read more