Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Karaburun: Pruva Restoran

    April 30, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    The second week of our family visit flew by this week. Practically every day had some kind of gathering that revolved around food … an afternoon tea hosted by my niece-in-law, Serenay; a baby shower for a friend’s daughter … followed by dinner hosted by mom; a Mexican fiesta dinner that we hosted; an afternoon tea hosted by Aylin’s mother- and sister-in-law. And then there was lunch today.

    Karaburun is a district in the Province of İzmir … about 65 miles or so from where we are staying in Alsancak. It is located on a peninsula by the same name. In fact, we sailed by it when Insignia called on İzmir on 14 April.

    When we were visiting family last fall, Aylin and Murat wanted to bring us to Pruva Restaurant, which is located in the area of Karaburun known as İskele (aka pier). The timing didn’t work out then, but it did today since the place re-opened for the season just yesterday. What didn’t work out this time, however, was the weather … we had no blue skies and sunshine like we did last fall. In fact, it was overcast with a stiff breeze while we were there. But we persevered and ate out on the terrace.

    What a delightful meal we had overlooking the Aegean Sea. The restaurant prides itself on serving dishes that are atypical of the ones one might find in seaside restaurants in Turkey. We ordered a selection of mezes (tapas) … and a seafood paella to share. We wrapped up with two desserts — custard-filled profiteroles and a pumpkin dessert.

    From the waterfront, we headed up to Karaburun Merkez … as the city center is known. Here, we went to a small café where we had some delicious ice cream before tackling the long drive back home.

    Aylin and Murat always find the best restaurants to share with us. Today’s experience definitely did not disappoint.
    Read more