Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    At Sea: Holiday Cheer from Insignia

    December 29, 2022, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ⛅ 79 °F

    We’re at sea after having left Miami about 45 minutes late last night. No worries, though. We’re still on tap for an on-time arrival at our port for tomorrow.

    I’ll say this up front and try to keep mum on this topic in the future. That we love days at sea goes without saying. But they go by way too fast. I understand how time can fly when we are busy … but we really don’t do much more than relax when we are at sea … recharge our batteries for the ports to follow. And yet …

    Oh well … onward.

    We had a couple of social engagements today. First up was the CruiseCritic meet and greet for the Golden Gala segment. All of 6 people showed up, including us … out of the RTW (73) and segment passengers who embarked yesterday in Miami. Of course, very few of the passengers embarking from Miami participated on the roll call, so hopefully the turnout will be better after we embark the 180-day passengers in San Francisco.

    Our second social engagement was the Captain’s Welcome Aboard Party in the Insignia Lounge. What is the saying? Feed them and they will come. Well, that same concept applies to “give them free drinks,” too 😉. Until recently, the senior officers were not allowed to mingle with guests … due to COVID-19 restrictions. That has changed. As I noted with the party we attended on the Festive Caribbean cruise, the full complement of officers — including the master of the vessel, Captain Brajcic — was present and accounted for.

    After the party, we listened to the Quadrivium String Quartet playing in the Upper Hall to kill the time before our dinner reservation … we had to push our usual dining time to 7:30p in order to be seated in Toscana tonight. My favorite dining venue on the ship, it did not disappoint.

    Mui’s at tonight’s show to see the “hilarious comedy” — as the Currents describes it — of Jeff Nease. Comedy’s not my thing, so I am going to enjoy the veranda now that I’m all caught up with my footprints.

    ————————————

    I’m sharing some “Christmas Trees” that I found tucked into what is the Artist’s Loft in Horizons (the artist in residence embarks in San Francisco). The trees were created by members of different departments on Insignia. Beautifully imagined, designed, and built. I think they should have been prominently displayed around the ship as I am sure most of the passengers are unaware of them … certainly I was until this morning.
    Read more