Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

    January 11, 2023 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    Our last port in Mexico … until we begin the southbound cruise after we embark the world cruisers and segmenters in San Francisco.

    Cabo is a tender port. Since we had a beach day planned for this second visit — the first time being 20 years ago — we took our time going to the Insignia Lounge for our tender tickets. Then off we went ashore.

    From the tender pier, we decided to take advantage of the cool temps to walk to Playa El Farito … all the way around, on the other side of the harbor/marina.

    Stopping to photograph herons, pelicans, and sea lions, we arrived at the playa. Since there were no chairs or umbrellas on the beach, we continued on to Playa El Medano and sat ourselves down at a restaurant called Mango Deck. At 10:00a, when we arrived, it was quiet with just a few patrons. Now, at 1:00p, you’d be hard pressed to find a table.

    This part of the beach is like party central. Vendors parading on the beach … but not entering the restaurant … taking a polite “no, gracias” as gospel. Yes, there is loud music, but not the kind that jars the senses. We’re actually enjoying the ambiance.

    Mui lost no time going for a dip … once … twice. And then it was time to order comida (food) … a fried red snapper for him … shrimp fajitas for me. We had originally planned to go to a far less touristy restaurant — Misiones de Kinos — but it doesn’t open until after Insignia sets sails. No matter … we found the food at Mango Deck delicious … washed down with the 2-for-1 happy hour Tecates!

    Now to make our way back onto the ship. We will Uber it this time … too hot to walk back to the tender pier.
    Read more