Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 92

    At Sea

    March 13, 2023, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    Day 1 of 3 days at sea as we cross from the Americas to Africa.

    We’ve done a number of these Atlantic crossings — in both directions. Usually, they are about seven days long once we leave our last port behind since our route is from Europe to the USA … or vice versa. Not this time. It’s a shorter distance from where South America juts out into the Atlantic to where Africa juts into the Atlantic … made all the shorter because we have a stop at Cape Verde before we arrive at mainland Africa.

    I had every intention of sleeping in today. Not just because I was worn out from nonstop sightseeing in hot and humid Brazil. But also because we had a time change last night … the first of many to come in the days ahead.

    Alas, I was up at 6:30a … even with springing ahead an hour. Breakfast at the Terrace Café … massage for me … art class for Mui. That was our morning. Lunch at the Terrace Café at noon … reading and writing in the cabin for me … massage for Mui. That was our afternoon..

    Before we knew it, the clock was showing 6:00p. Where did the day go? No idea. But we had dinner with our friend Miguel Cespedes to look forward to, so we gussied up and went up to meet him in Toscana. Miguel is the Chief Purser onboard Insignia. We’ve known him for a number of years and it’s always fun to spend time with him. We neglected to take a photo. But perhaps we will have a chance to do so before he leaves us in Cape Town.

    It was after 9:00p when we left Toscana. Mui headed to the Insignia Lounge. I headed to the cabin. Tonight, quiet time on the veranda is preferable to entertainment IMHO.

    By the way … we’re back in the Northern Hemisphere again … after meandering around the Southern Hemisphere for 43 days. According to Captain Stjepan, we crossed the Equator at 10:00a today.

    This won’t be the last Equator crossing of this trip. I wonder if we will get certificates each time we do so?
    Read more