Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    At Sea

    March 20, 2023, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    Day 1 of 2 days at sea … as we head to the countries we will be visiting along the Gulf of Guinea.

    A quiet day at sea saw us slowly chipping away at the 1,113 NM between The Gambia and the Ivory Coast. Nothing exciting … just the usual sea day activities as our brains tried to process our West Africa experience to date.

    Dinner was a special Chef’s Market theme at the Terrace Café … “comfort food.” This is not something that is done with any regularity on Oceania cruises. But on a world cruise, the change of pace from delicious fancy food to delicious family style food is greatly appreciated. Unlike other chef’s market dinners, this one was being featured for just one night. So the Terrace Café was a-hoppin’.

    Everything from old fashioned meatloaf, to fried chicken, to macaroni and cheese, to collard greens and hush puppies, to … well much, much more. Both executive chefs (Farid is leaving us for a while in Cape Town, so Colin came aboard in Dakar for the transition) were scurrying about, filling or carrying plates to keep the line moving.

    The dessert buffet featured so many delicacies that it was hard to pick and choose. No problem … Pastry Chef Sheila was on hand to fill your plate with anything and everything … “just give it a taste,” she exhorted.

    We wrapped up with tonight’s show, featuring a West End vocalist duo, Sabatino & Sutcliffe. Their show was entitled “A Musical Bliss.” The songs — from musicals to Michael Bublé to Queen” were fine. But I’m afraid the whole show was just too loud. A couple of notches less would have been perfect.
    Read more