Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 114

    RTW Event: Boschendal Wine Estate

    April 4, 2023 in South Africa

    Here’s how the invitation we received a couple of weeks ago described today’s event … disregard the run on sentences and lack of punctuation 😉

    “Deep within the splendid wine region of Franschhoek Valley in South Africa’s Western Cape, lies Boschendal, a stunning 1,800-hectare winery and nature preserve dating back to 1685 which has been maintained by generations of families. This afternoon stroll and soak in the beautiful scenery as you immerse yourself in the beauty of the South African wine country. Savor the flavors of farm-to-table delicacies, as well as Boschendal’s fine wines, in this unique farmer’s market setting while listening to the sweet sounds of the Marimba band and a live acoustic performance. Photo booths will help capture special memories of this wonderful day with friends.”

    Sounds fun? It was terrific fun.

    Normally, tour groups meet in the Insignia Lounge to exchange tickets for bus assignments. Not today. Since the immigration formalities were being conducted in the cruise terminal, the Destinations staff had a table set up outside the passport control area. In no time, we were heading to bus #1, which we were told was the last one on the left. It wasn’t. But that’s OK … the sign on the back of the bus made it easy to find it anyway.

    The schedule called for the first departure at 10:00a. Our guide decided to get on the road ahead of schedule, telling us that she’d take us through the city on a quick tour. “But, sssshhh, don’t tell the people on the other buses,” she cautioned. So, we got a sneak peek of downtown before leaving the city.

    The drive to the winery wasn’t very long. The further we got from the city, the greener the scenery became … farms and vineyards. By 10:30a, we had arrived at the Boschendal Wine Estate … or more accurately, Farm Estate.

    Since we weren’t expected until 11:00a, our guide had the bus take us to the farm section. Here, we got to use the restrooms, check out the shops selling everything from wine, to meat, to eggs, to … well, you get the idea. We also had time to check out the farmscape before we were directed to head over to the olive press area, the site of our event. By this time, the drummers were already beating out a tune for us to follow. Waiters stood by with trays of the wine for us to start sipping.

    The set up included tables inside a building that was open on one side, as well as tables outdoor … under canopies. We opted for a six top here, which we shared with Sonia & Boris, and Younga & David.

    Amidst the tables were charming sitting areas, with booths lining either side. Our guide had given us wristbands that she said we could exchange for a gift from these stalls. The bands were worth R500 each … and could be used independently, or could be combined for a single purchase. After checking the paintings (Mui said he could paint similar scenes himself), the wire and bead animals, placemats, runners, and the like, I settled on a beaded wristlet for myself.

    With glasses of wine in hand, we wandered around the beautiful estate, enjoying the scenery, and getting our photograph taken at a booth. Then, it was time for the meal to be served … family-style. The food was plentiful ad very tasty. The wine pour was continuous … and there was beer and non-alcoholic beverages for those who preferred something different.

    We enjoyed the relaxed pace of the meal, which was accompanied first by a marimba band and then by an acoustic duo. The small dance floor saw plenty of action.

    Shortly before 3:00p, we were served our “dessert on the go” … ice lollies. This was our cue that the event was wrapping up.

    Indeed, a few minutes later, the passengers on bus #1 were called. We dutifully made our way to where the bus was waiting for us. An uneventful drive returned us to the port by 4:00p.

    A fantastic special event. As good as the first event held in Buenos Aires was, this one topped it! The bar has now been set very high for our next event … which will be held in Dubai.
    Read more