Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 182

    Keelung: Night Market

    June 11, 2023 in Taiwan ⋅ 🌧 77 °F

    With the sights in Taipei all closed for the day, we had a decision to make.

    We all agreed that next we wanted to go to a night market. The question was which one? Stay in Taipei and go to the Shilin Market? Or drive back to the port and go to the Keelung Market? We decided on the latter … which would give us some time to dry off en route.

    We set off from Taipei under pouring rain. By the time we arrived in Keelung around 7:00p, the rain had stopped. Bidding the driver good bye at the head of the Night Market, we hopped out on a narrow street decorated with yellow lanterns on both sides.

    The full name of the market is Keelung Miaokou Night Market. Miaokou is a Mandarin word, which appropriately means “the doorway of the temple.” We later popped into the Dianji Temple, but first a wander in the market was in order.

    Making our way up and down a couple of streets, we checked out the various street food offerings. We found some delicious corn on the cob to munch on as we wandered. Then, Mui and David tasted some chicken skewers … after making sure they weren’t chicken butts. Mui also tasted a sausage. Later, we found some delicious rice with mushroom. Yummy, yummy! All tasty … all quick … all inexpensive.

    It was after 8:00p when we returned to Insignia, our feet ready to call it a night. After arranging to meet them at 7:30a for what we anticipate will be a steep climb to a temple in Keelung, we bid Younga & David farewell. We were on our way to the cabin when we decided to detour to the Terrace Café for dessert. My favorite Humphry Slocombe ice cream was on the menu … Regatta Royale … chocolate with a hint of orange. YAY!

    Time to rest up for tomorrow … luckily the rain has stopped so I can do that on the veranda with the city lights glittering in the distance.
    Read more