Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Naples: Bye Bye Naples

    October 27, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 70 °F

    Of the ships sharing Naples with us, Carnival Pride was first to leave … followed by RCL’s Symphony of the Seas. Then Oosterdam let its bow lines go. Since we had maneuvered to back into our berth this morning, it was full ahead for us … a full moon lighting our way … Vesuvius, a dark silhouette with its skirts a-twinkle with town lights, our companion.

    But before we wave a final farewell to Naples, I have one more short story to tell.

    By the time we left San Martino it was 1:30p. We were ready for a change of pace that would include a late lunch with Alev, a high school classmate of Mui’s, who lives in Naples with her Italian husband.

    The plan was to meet up for lunch at Gorizia, a pizzeria Alev had recommended in Vomero … in operation since 1916. We headed down from the museum on foot and found the place easily enough. Our get together was delightful. The chatter and laughter were nonstop … pauses just long enough to eat a bite of food … or take a sip of wine to wash down those bites.

    After lunch, Alev took us on a drive around Naples, stopping at a few piazzas and view points. By this time, Vesuvius was uncloaked and gave us a couple of good photo ops. As the afternoon shadows gave way to evening, Alev took us to Galleria Umberto I, a beautiful mall with a glass roof and mosaic floors. Here we bid her farewell, thanking her for showing us Naples from a local’s perspective.

    Treating ourselves to some artisanal gelato from a place near Piazza Plebicito, we found an elevator to get us down to the waterfront, and from there made our way back to the port where Oosterdam awaited us.

    Thus ended the first of a string of 10 ports of call that will fill the days ahead of us.
    Read more